Monday 22 November 2010

William Michaelian



Before me, the past


Before me, the past speeds ahead.
It arrives, I know not when.


Behind me, the future is silent.
It knows that I am dead.


Pity, there is no grief in starlight.
Mercy, cries for the unborn.


Duty, is a failed science.
Love, walks alone.


You show me a sign.
A bright, fathomless smile.


As if there were, anything.
As if we were, real.


As if, rainbows give birth to children.
And they do: rainbows, and strawberries.


Fallen angels, white as any snowflake.
Black as an eye in a song.


Blue, as when light returns.
Green, because everything is so damn silly.


Honeyed as any flower.
Or as the scent and color of skin.


Intimate, as graveyard stone.
Whispers, with cold gray fingertips.


Wet shoes: where have I been?
And how did you find me?


A siren in a cityscape.
Moonlight, on a table.


Perhaps, or, simply, fate.
A wet sponge by the sink.


A leaf, a candle.
An unexpected need.

8 comments:

Jenny said...

Excellent, William.

William Michaelian said...

Thanks, Jenny, and thanks for the beautiful presentation.

Anders Enochsson said...

This is so good; impeccable aesthetics.

William Michaelian said...

Thank you, Ande!

flaubert said...

Really nice William.
Pamela

William Michaelian said...

Thank you, Pamela, and it’s nice to make your acquaintance.

Peter Greene said...

Lovely poem, William, and good to see you here.

William Michaelian said...

Thanks, Peter. And it’s good to see you, poetry, readings, hair, and all.